Sunday, February 27, 2011

Case Break: 2007 UD Masterpieces Baseball: Box 6

HughesTopper

I think I’m going to name Phil Hughes as my nemesis. He was offered to me in the ridiculous fantasy baseball trade that I think I mention in this video and he’s a great example of why wins are overrated in baseball. If Mr. Hughes were pitching for the Royals then he’d most likely have a losing record.

I dare say that the Yankees in this box topper set are some of the better looking cards due to the frame really complimenting the colors on the pinstriped jerseys. This is the sixth different topper in six boxes so I’ve got that going for me.

Greens

Green Linen/Windsor: Justin Morneau, Hanley Ramirez, Delmon Young (aka the scourge of 2007 sets), Ozzie Smith and Yaz. Can you guess which one is staying with me?

The most ridiculous thing that Upper Deck did with the two most common parallel colors was to make two almost identical versions of them. The Green Linens have a flat frame around them while the Green Windsor have a textured frame. The same goes for the Black Linen and Serious Black respectively. I grouped all of the greens together because I busted these boxes at night, my eyes were hurting and I wasn’t straining to make out the difference. The Green Linens are something like 1:6 packs while the Green Windsor are 1:9.

Parallels

Craig Biggio Pinot /75 and Frank Thomas Serious Black /99

Jerseys

Derrek Lee, Bobby Abreu and Akinori Iwamura

Is it just me, or does it seem like Derrek Lee has sold his entire wardrobe to Topps? I pull more of his jersey cards and I really don’t want any of them. The Abreu is another annoying hybrid card, this time of the Yankees and Phillies. If you haven’t been watching the videos, this might be a good one to watch just for my inability to correctly pronounce Iwamura at some ungodly hour of the night/morning. There just might be some other little Easter Eggs in the videos for your entertainment.

LaRocheAuto

Whoops, didn’t notice that this Andy LaRoche autographed card was askew with I scanned it. Oh well, it’s staying that way now. I don’t really have anything to say about LaRoche. Anyone out there have anything to share?

 

 

3 comments:

The Dimwit said...

I'd be interested in the Biggio Pinot frame...

Anonymous said...

Interested in the Green/Windsor/Whatever Morneau card as well.

Offy said...

Dimwit: I goofed in the post. The Biggio was part of the lot of numbered cards that I sold already. Sorry about that.

rhubarb: email sent.

Post a Comment