Monday, February 28, 2011

Case Break: 2007 Masterpieces Baseball: Box 13

JeterTopper

Even Red Sox fans can’t hate on a card that looks like this. Again, the frame on these box toppers compliments the Yankees uniform perfectly.

This is going to be a very interesting year for the Yankees and Jeter. Little Steinbrenner is quickly showing that he’s nowhere the owner that his dad was. If he keeps running his mouth and screwing with the team’s icons then player aren’t going to want to go and play in pinstripes any more. It already seems to be the trend with many big name free agents shunning the Yanks. That’s ok because Boston will welcome them with open arms.

Greens

Green Linen/Windsor: Andy LaRoche, Sandy Koufax, Babe Ruth, Luis Aparicio and Brooks Robinson

Parallels

David Ortiz Black Linen /99 and Reggie Jackson Rusted /50

Here’s the second David Ortiz. How unfair is it that I bash Panini for their endless parallels, but I’ll collect two David Ortiz cards that are similar except for the texture of the frame? Well, if Panini made any cards that looked this good then maybe I’d change my opinion. Until then, I guess that I’ll just have to live with my hypocrisy. This is the second Rusted Reggie that popped out of the case so this one is available for any Reggie fans out there.

Jerseys

Brad Lidge, Carl Yastrzemski and Mark Teixeira

That Brad Lidge jersey swatch is by far the most vivid of anything to come out of the case. What’s cooler is that it matches the picture on the card. I was excited to pull the Yaz which will now have a home in my collection. Last up is a Mark Teixeira Braves/Rangers card. Do fans of those teams even want anything to do with him anymore? Lidge and Tex are up for sale.

ZumayaAuto

Here’s an autographed card of Detriot fireballer Joel Zumaya. They’ve got a couple of hurlers in Detroit that can just blow people away. I hope that they do well. That city needs stuff to feel good about. They’re slowly recovering, but who wants to do that when your sports teams are playing poorly?

 

5 comments:

Charles @ Hoopography said...

I feel like every card you've gotten in this case is either a Yankee or Red Sox player. I'm sure that's just my East Coast bias, but still. Sweet Topper!!!

Play at the Plate said...

It pains me to say it, but I need that Tex for my team collection.

Derek Hill said...

Add the brook, koufax, and ruth for me please

Offy said...

Charles: This set is loaded with Sox and Yankees. Heck, there's even a Babe Ruth card with each team in the set. A lot of that comes from the fact that this set contains all-time greats and the other is that there are a couple of cards having to do with the Sox 2004 World Series Championship.

PatP and Derek: emails sent

Charles @ Hoopography said...

I should look into one of these cases. My funds are low right now, but maybe in a month or two. This is perfect for Sox and Pin Stripe fans. Plus, you "bigger hits" were solid with that printing plate and Gwynn auto. Very nice product.

Post a Comment