Sunday, February 27, 2011

Case Break: 2007 UD Masterpieces Baseball: Box 7

WeaverTopper

Box number seven brings me my seventh different box topper. What’s in the box? What’s in the box! Don’t worry, no severed heads here. (Is that still considered a spoiler? Has anyone not seen that movie yet?) This box contained a Jered Weaver. Weaver really had a rough season with the Angels last year. His ERA was just barely over 3, but his W/L record was 13-12. His Ks went way up and his walks decreased. If Los Californaheim can put a decent team out on the field this season Weaver should have a great year. Possible underrated fantasy starter alert!

Is it weird that the only thing that I can think of when I get a Jered Weaver card is the following clip from UHF (one of the greatest movies of all time, by the way):

Stupid!!!

Greens

Windsor Green Linen: Stephen Drew, Ken Griffey Jr, Craig Biggio, Babe Ruth, Bobby Doerr and Ty Cobb

Parallel

Cal Ripken Blue Steel 50/50

This box only contained one numbered parallel so I kept hoping that something else was going to come out of the box, but that wasn’t the case. At least this was an eBay 1/1!

Jerseys

Carl Crawford, Francisco Liriano and Rocco Baldelli

I think that I’m going to hold onto the Crawford at least until I can get a Red Sox relic in a year or two. I’m amazed that the Liriano actually has a stripe because it seems like Upper Deck actually tried to make these the most boring jersey swatches of all time. The cards look beautiful, but it would have been nice if there was a little more variety in the swatches.

BayAuto

There was a time not too long ago that I would have been thrilled to pull a Jason Bay autograph. I did pull one out of 2007 UD Elements while Bay was with the Sox and I still have that card in my collection. This Bay will most likely find its way to eBay unless someone else is interested in it first.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh sheesh, another Twin. Yeah, I'm interested in the Liriano jersey as well.

Charles @ Hoopography said...

That Ruth is cool!!!

This must be soo much fun busting all these box. Awesomeness!!!

Derek Hill said...

Love to know what you want for the cobb and the griffey

Offy said...

mmmrhubarb and Derek: emails sent!

Charles: It is a ton of fun and a lot of work, but I love sorting cards. It's kind of a zen thing. Very relaxing.

Things can be frustrating when you run across something like the base sets from the Draft case that won't sell. At least I know that Masterpieces sets do sell.

Fuji said...

Another sweet Ripken parallel!

Offy said...

Yeah, Ripken is all over this set. I think he has four cards if you count the one with him and Gwynn on it.

Fuji said...

I think the one with Gwynn is the best one!

Post a Comment