Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why The Wait Topps?

When I purchased my case of 2011 Topps Update Baseball, a product that released on October 7th, I made the decision to enter the code cards form my case and try to get something nice. I ended up with one die cut cards, some nice vintage cards and that was about it. Come to find out that one reason was that all of the big cards to be claimed weren’t available yet. Today, the following post showed up on Topps’ Twitter:

ToppsTwits

Maybe I’m an idiot, but I would have assumed that these cards would have been available when the product went live. Why wait three weeks after the launch date to throw these cards into the prize pool? I wonder if it has anything to do with the lukewarm reception that this product has had. I wonder if it has anything to do with the prices dropping each week since this product has come out.

One problem that I have with this is how Topps tries to position it. Topps is thanking us for all of the codes that we’ve entered on the Diamond Giveaway site, by giving us more cards to chase requiring collectors to spend even more money. If they really wanted to thank people, they’d thank those that went out and purchased their product. Anyone who has entered codes in the past three weeks is getting the shaft.

That being said, I still like the promotion and I’ve done pretty well with it. I would have appreciated at least one other die cut card from my 60 codes, but I’m not sure just how frequently those fall. I just wish that the timing on these additional cards was better. After thinking that this promotion was a success for most of the year, I’m now left with a bitter taste in my mouth.

4 comments:

Derek Hill said...

When are you going to show us some cards!

Offy said...

Getting the videos ready now. The iPhone 4S launch kicked my butt and I haven't been doing much in the way of cards. Sending out emails to people as the videos process.

Fuji said...

Bummer... they should throw everyone who entered codes earlier back into the shuffle.

Offy said...

That would never happen and it all just comes down to bad timing, but I wonder if Topps thinks these things out before they do them. These cards go live 3 weeks earlier and they create all kinds of goodwill.

Post a Comment