Sunday, January 15, 2012

Piazza Poll

Now that I’ve decided that I’m going to get an 8x10 signed by Piazza at the White Plains show, I have to decide which 8x10 is going to end up with a place of honor on my wall. I found a seller on Amazon that had a good selection of pictures at a very good price. I chose three that I liked the best and placed my order. Now, I’m having a hard time trying to decide which of these three should be the one that I bring. Each one has it’s positives and negatives.

PiazzaSwingFront

This first picture I got because it’s got Piazza’s face on it even if it looks pretty goofy in this image. Normally, I’d be concerned about the dark background, but these days they have all kinds of pens at autograph signings and some sort of metallic ink should be perfect.

The main thing bugging me about this show is that normally I love getting things personalized, but since time is money they have to charge you for the extra time that the athlete will spend scribbling on your item. There’s no way that I’m spending $50 for him to write my name (or his first name twice).

PiazzaSwingBack

I picked this picture because I liked how you could read the name on the back of the jersey. You can see Piazza’s face a little bit, but nowhere as well as in the first picture.

The background of this picture isn’t as dark as the first one. A black Sharpie would show up well in the lower third of the picture. Anything higher would require metallic ink.

One thing that bugs me about this picture is the MLB hologram right over Piazza’s foot. Anal, I know, but this is something that I will end up constantly looking at. I’ll have to make sure that the Piazza McFarlane figure is blocking the sticker if I end up choosing this picture.

PiazzaGear

The final picture is of Mike Piazza decked out in the tools of ignorance. I figured that I would pick this one up since Piazza was so well known for his defensive skills behind the plate. I almost typed that with a straight face. Piazza’s rep definitely wasn’t made because of his defense or pitch calling abilities, but I thought that this was a cool picture of him. You can’t even really tell that it’s Piazza unless you peek through the facemask or read the number on the top of his chest protector.

So, I’m probably not getting this one signed, but it’ll make a nice addition to the collection.

What do all of you think though? Which picture do you think will look best autographed (and with what color ink) and hanging on my wall?

6 comments:

Daniel Wilson said...

I would go with the middle one. I like that you can see his name on the back of his jersey.

Fuji said...

I like the middle photo the best... but if it were me, I'd get the top one signed in light blue metallic paint pen (on one of the darker shaded areas). It would look sweet. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2011/11/sports-photography-one-helluva-hobby_22.html

TJ said...

I like the middle one with silver ink. It's a great shot.

Offy said...

I'm leaning towards the middle picture myself. I didn't notice the goofy look on Piazza's face on the first picture until after I ordered it. What I like about the second picture is that you can see him, but also read his jersey. The composition of the photo is also better than the other two.

Fuji - Something like this?

AdamE said...

I would go with the one in the catchers gear. In my mind he is a Dodger so the first two are out. With the catchers gear on you can't tell which team he is playing for. So maybe Dodgers maybe Mets.

Offy said...

I was actually looking for something in a Dodgers uniform. Being a Red Sox fan, it's going to be tough having a Mets picture hanging on my wall. I might see what I have for old Becketts and things like that which picture him as a Dodger. That's another option as well.

Post a Comment