Friday, January 13, 2012

Go Figure

It didn't take me long to realize that the selling value for cards at CheckOutMyCards is a lot different than it is over at eBay. Since shipping is lower, I'll pay a dollar or two more for a card at COMC than I will over on feeBay. Some things do baffle me though. I sold a limited autograph from the Basketball Draft case for $15 that didn't get a bid starting at .99¢ over on eBay. In fact, many of those autographed cards sold over on COMC that didn't get any interest at all over on eBay.

Another example of this showed up for me today. I had pulled a Ryan Howard Peak Performer sticker auto out of a jumbo box last year. Considering he was probably in the group of toughest people to pull, I was very happy with it. I sent it off to COMC with my latest batch of cards and had to figure out a price for it since There was no price listed for the card. I went to eBay and saw that the autographed relic version of this card, serial numbered to just 50 copies, just sold for $23.23. With that in mind, I listed my auto for $25 thinking that I would get offers just below that. Well, it didn't take long for someone to snatch up the card for $25 and re-list it at $75. Now I'm wondering if I missed out on something here. Is there any possibly way that this card could be worth more that the version numbered to 50 copies?

Given the sale of the numbered card on eBay, I'm very happy with what I sold the card for, but there is part of me that wonders how much this person would have paid for the card. What do all of you think?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cash in hand is key. Never deny the cash in hand side of it. He probably put it that high hoping to get a bid that was more than he paid for it. You made a good deal from a researched standpoint. If he wants to pay to list a card that high, well, more power to him.

Anonymous said...

I've been there many times myself, and I came to the realization that the flipper can ask $10K for the card he bought from you, but it doesn't mean anything if nobody buys it. It sounds to me like you made out just fine in this deal.

...now if only that guy would buy some of my Ryan Howard cards...

Offy said...

I'm definitely happy with the sale. Ryan Howard autos sell for $15 - $20 all day long on eBay. I was actually surprised at how low the relic/auto sold for since 50 is a pretty low run.

I checked out the rest of what the person had for sale that purchased the Howard card from me and a lot of his stuff is overpriced. The Howard does seem to be a bit of a rare card, there aren't any to be found on eBay in current or finished auctions, but I still don't think it can be anywhere near a $75 card.

The only downside to it being a COMC sale is that it'll never be cash in hand, but I've already used the funds form this sale to pick up a ton of great cards that will be staying in my collection. Swapping out one card for 20-30 cards that I'll love is a great turn of events every time.

Post a Comment