Thursday, January 6, 2011

Case Break: 2009-10 UD Basketball Draft Edition: Box 3

FinchHere’s one of the two Jennie Finch cards in the Alma Mater insert set.  I’m not quite sure why there are two cards of Jennie in this set, but I’m not complaining too much.  It would have been nice to pull one of the autographed versions of this card from my case, but I didn’t.  I did pull an Alma Mater autographed card from this box though.  Missing out on a Finch auto is alright since I was able to get a card signed by her in person at a Brockton Rox game.

GarnettHere’s another athlete currently playing in Boston that’s in the Alma Mater insert set.  It’s been a pleasure watching The Big Ticket in green and white.  I’m hoping that there’s no lockout next season because it will probably mean the end of KG’s career a year early, but at the very least I got to see him bring one championship to Boston.
 
GulbisThis box was definitely Alma Mater heavy.  This box contained my first parallel card that wasn’t autographed.  Natalie Gulbis is one of those female athletes that has become extremely popular due to both her looks and her talent.

This card came out of the pack with its lower left corner crunched up.  I’m currently waiting to hear back from Upper Deck to see what they can do for me in regards to the damaged cards from this case.  The set is more than a year old so I’m not expecting too much, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about Upper Deck going above and beyond in the customer service department over the past year or so.

Johnson99I hope that they go above and beyond for me because this redemption is for a card that will most likely never exist.  This redemption is for a Michael Johnson autographed Alma Mater card numbered to 99, but a year and a half after the release of the set, this card still doesn’t exist.  In spite of this, I still have to wait 45 days before requesting a replacement.  So, I’ve got some time to come up with a list of equivalent players for them to send me.  This card isn’t listed in Beckett since it doesn’t exist to I have no idea what it will be worth.  Should I request a player that I collect such as David Ortiz, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo or Tom Brady?  Should I request something higher in stature since Johnson doesn’t have any certified autographs out there that I know of and this could have been a pretty valuable card.  Should I jump up to Albert Pujols, LeBron James and… well, Tom Brady levels for my redemption?  Any suggestions?  Anyone out there subscribe to the Beckett online hoops price guide?  Could you check to see what they have this card listed at for me?

I wouldn’t mind autographs of other players that I collect such as Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz or Glen Davis, but they’ve have to be very special cards of those players in order for them to be equivalent.  I think.  Who knows what Upper Deck will think.
JordanBrand
Here’s a look at one of the Jordan Brand Classic redemption cards.  This one was for BJ Mullens.  I had to Google him because I honestly didn’t know much about him.  Mullens was drafted 24th in 2009 by the Oklahoma City Thunder.  He’s averaged right around 4 minutes a game over his season and a half in the league which explains why I haven’t heard of him.  It’s not the last that you’ll hear of ol’ BJ in this case break though.  I don’t want to spoil anything, but lets just say that the collation on these redemption cards wasn’t too great.

Autos
For base autographs we’ve got Michael Bramos /999, K.C. Rivers (not be confused with Austin, the son of Doc Rivers) /499 and Josh Heytvelt /999.  So, depending on what I’m able to get in place of the Michael Johnson, this could end up being a very good box.

2 comments:

Robert Delsie said...

how many boxes in a case?

Offy said...

12 boxes in a case.

Post a Comment