Friday, April 15, 2011

The Best Card Blog Post Ever

*this week

So, last week I was lucky enough to catch a Chris Hardwick stand up show. I would have ponied up the cash for the show anyway, but I was selected to get a free pair of complimentary tickets in exchange for promoting the show with fliers and through social media. For those of you who don’t know who Chris Hardwick is, you might remember him from this show:

Oh wait, that’s just a clip of Chris on one of my all-time favorite shows, Boy Meets World. You might remember Chris as one of the co-hosts on MTV’s Singled Out. I remember watching the heck out of this show back in the day. Raging hormones + Jenny McCarty = Yes, please!

Singled Out isn’t the reason why I’m a fan of Chris Hardwick though. I became a fan once Chris started hosting the G4 show Web Soup. They take clips from the internet, show them and then joke about them. Hilarity ensues.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect as far as the stand up set went, but I was very entertained. Comedy targeted at nerds is right up my alley.

The opening act was Mike Phirman who is a musical comedy act and also teams up with Chris Hardwick in the musical comedy duo Hard ‘N’ Phirm. This Build-A-Song segment from the opening set was one of the most brilliant comedy bits that I’ve ever seen.

By this point, you might be thinking, “Dude, this is a sports card blog. What’s up with all of the comedy videos?” Ready for the payoff?

Hardwick

After the show, both Chris and Mike stuck around and met with every single fan who wanted to do so and there were a large number of fans who lined up to do just that. I waited longer in the meet and greet line than I spent watching the show itself, but it was worth it.

I got to chat with the guys for a little bit, had them sign something for my collection and thanks to my amazing wife behind the camera, I got this:

206398_10150215898980039_531745038_8235625_6179369_n

A great way to end a great night. I’ve done well with seeing cable hosts doing stand up. Ben Bailey (Cash Cab) was hilarious as well. If you get the chance, definitely go and check out Chris Hardwick if he performs near you. It’s a different type of comedy show and that’s a good thing.

 

3 comments:

longlivethewho said...

I can always appreciate a Boy Meets World fan. I believe that the Singled Out episode is also the episode with Cory in the hospital, from season 4.

Offy said...

My family is full of Boy Meets World fans. At my cousin's wedding, he gave my other cousin an autographed picture of Ryder Strong for his groomsman gift. It was part gag gift, but it was because they are both such big fans of the show.

jenne said...

Also, Mike - your cousin used a quote from BMW in the wedding invite. so glad i joined the family of awesome :) and YAY this post!

Love,
Amazing Wife Of Awesomeness ;)

Post a Comment