Saturday, February 18, 2012

Topps Support Failure

I feel like there’s far too much complaining that goes on in the hobby these days and I hate to pile on, but I feel like this is a story that needs to be told. When I opened my case of 2011 Topps Update, I was shorted a hit in one of the boxes. On top of that, it seemed to me that I was missing what should have been the case hit. I scanned my UPCs and receipt and mailed them off to Topps; following the directions given by them to make things easier when shorted a hit. Some time went by before I got an email from Topps Support asking me to call them. I called and spent time on hold before being told that my attached image didn’t go through and I would have to send it again. Why they couldn’t tell me this via email I couldn’t understand.

I ended up resending the email with the attachment time and time again with a smaller and smaller file size. Something is wrong with the Topps Support email because they should be able to get the tiny attachments that I was sending. Each time, the only response that I would get was if I Tweeted @toppssupport about the issue. Again, no clue why the email account isn’t being staffed properly. After months of back and forth (or more like back, pester Topps and then reluctant forth), I finally emailed them again with a link to the images hosted on Google. I got an email telling me that I had to send them the UPCs, receipt, etc in order to get my missing hit. That just goes to show that the people manning the Topps Support email really aren’t reading the messages that come in.

I finally got my image in the hands of Topps and waited a little while. The other day this card came in the mail:

EthierKemp

At first glance, this looks like a great card to get from Topps. It’s a dual relic numbered to 50 copies with the real NL MVP on it. It’s only upon further inspection that things get a little shady. First off, there’s the fact that the Kemp jersey swatch has a pull and is unraveling. Second, the bottom right corner is smashed and feathered. Honestly, this looks like a card that someone else sent back for replacement that they then sent to me. Thanks, but no thanks Topps. I can’t even be bothered to contact them again about this. My time is more valuable to me. I see what awesome customer service looks like on a daily basis. If this is what Topps currently thinks of it’s customers then I’m not sure if I want to continue to be one.

4 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

I'd be happy to work out a deal and take the Kemp off of your hands.

BASEBALL DAD said...

Fortuneately, I've never had to deal with them.And from the stories I read, I hope I never do !

Offy said...

Greg - I've Tweeted a link to this post to Topps Support. I'm going to wait until Tuesday or so to see if they want to make good on this. If I still have the card, then I'm definitely willing to work out a trade. I'd rather get a nice card that's in good shape from Topps, but in lieu of that at least I can get this into the collection of someone who will appreciate it flaws and all.

Baseball Dad - The strange thing is that before the flawed 2010 releases, Topps customer support was excellent. I think they're extremely overwhelmed these days and need to hire on some more employees to catch up.

Greg Zakwin said...

Sounds good Mike! Good luck with Topps, I hope they remedy the situation and it works out well for you!

Post a Comment