Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Collection Question

Here’s something that I’ve been thinking about lately that I wanted to get other people’s opinions on. If you are both a player collector and a set collector, do you need to have two copies of a card ir order for both collections to be complete? For example, I’ve been collecting Mike Piazza since 1992. I was lucky enough to pull one of his rookies out of the one box that I busted (for a whopping $54) and then I tracked down a single rookie for $3 (all of the dealers were hoarding them and not selling, citing that the Beckett price was too low.) So, I have a Piazza rookie in my 1992 Bowman set and one in my Piazza player collection, but is that necessary or just being extravagant?

I have a good number of insert sets that have a Piazza in them where I don’t have another copy of the card for my player collection. I know that if I were to enter everything into a database (HA!), then it wouldn’t really matter, but it’s also nice to have everything together and not have to open a plastic box to see my Upper Deck Next Generation Electric Diamond card or Mickey Mantle’s Long Shots card.

So, what say you? Do you always try to pick up two copies of the card, pick up a second if it is convenient (and affordable) or are you satisfied with just one copy?

4 comments:

LongFlyBall said...

Absolutely.

Try being a set, player and team collector when the player you collect is on the team you collect.
Sometimes I think I secretly hate myself.

Nachos Grande said...

I try to track down two cards as well if my player (Larkin) is in a set I'm trying to complete...hence the Kimball mini still one my want list for 2011 Topps!

Spankee said...

I usually try to get a second copy. If it is one of the last cards I need for a for the set set, I will move it from the player collection to the set.

Play at the Plate said...

Sets and team sets need separate copies (for me). Most of my PC guys are team guys I collect so they are covered in the team set.

Post a Comment